Continuous control over 24 hours50
- Double the quit rate vs. placebo at 6 weeks (NICODERM® 21 mg/day = 71% (p<0.001), NICODERM® 14 mg/day = 54% (p<0.001), NICODERM® 7 mg/day = 48% (p<0.05) vs. placebo, 33%)50*
- Discreet support
- Helps reduce withdrawal symptoms and cravings – night and day
- Can help protect against early morning cravings
*In a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial. 513 smokers with a smoking history of at least 1 pack a day were randomized to receive NICODERM® 21 mg/day, 14 mg/day, 7 mg/day or placebo. Patients received smoking cessation counselling during the 6-week course of the trial.
Dosing & Usage
WEEKS 1-6 WEEKS 7-8 WEEKS 9-10
21 mg One Patch Daily
14 mg One Patch Daily
7 mg One Patch Daily
For patients who smoke <10 cigarettes/day, weigh less than 45 kg (100 lbs) or have cardiovascular disease:
- Start with Step 2 (14 mg) one patch/day for 6 weeks
- Then, use Step 3 (7 mg) one patch/day for 2 to 4 weeks then stop
How to properly apply the Patch
Patient counselling: How to properly apply the NICODERM® Patch50
- Cut package along dotted line and remove the patch
- Remove liner from patch and press down firmly for 10 seconds to apply. Wash your hands.
- Choose a dry hairless area above the waist or on the upper outer area of your arm, back or shoulders to apply the patch
- After 24 hours, remove the patch and apply a new one to a different area. If you have difficulty sleeping, you may want to apply the patch first thing in the morning and remove it right before bedtime.
To ensure safe disposal, used patches should be discarded by folding them with the sticky sides together to minimize risk to children and pets.
For complete directions for use and warnings, always refer to the product insert/booklet provided with the product.
Cautions and Warnings
Keep out of reach of children.
DO NOT USE IF YOUR PATIENT IS/HAS: under 18 years of age; an occasional or non-smoker; pregnant or nursing; generalized skin disorders (e.g., eczema, rash; allergic to nicotine or any of the non-medicinal ingredients).
USE WITH CAUTION IF YOUR PATIENT: has/had heart disease, a heart attack, heart pain, irregular heartbeat or a stroke or have ever had high blood pressure, blood circulation problems or treatment for circulation disorders of the brain, asthma, chronic lung problems, thyroid problems, stomach problems, ulcers or inflammation of the esophagus, kidney or liver disease, diabetes requiring insulin or are taking any prescription medications.
Known Adverse Events: NICODERM® patches can cause minor skin irritation, headache, light-headedness, insomnia, stomach upset and vivid dreams. These side effects may be eliminated by stepping down to a lower strength NICODERM® patch.
- Do not use more than one patch at a time, as this may cause nicotine overdose.
- Remove the NICODERM® patch 2 hours before engaging in prolonged, strenuous exercise, as this may increase nicotine absorption through the skin and cause symptoms of nicotine overdose.
For product support, call 1-866-311-5869.
Each NICODERM® STEP 1 (21 mg/day) patch contains 114 mg nicotine. Each patch releases a controlled 1.5 mg/hr over 24 hours with systemic delivery of 21 mg/day.
Each NICODERM® STEP 2 (14 mg/day) patch contains 78 mg nicotine. It releases a controlled 1.0 mg/hr over 24 hours with systemic delivery of 14 mg/day.
Each NICODERM® STEP 3 (7 mg/day) patch contains 36 mg nicotine. It releases a controlled 0.5 mg/hr over 24 hours with systemic delivery of 7 mg/day.
NON-MEDICINAL INGREDIENTS: Ethylene-vinyl acetate copolymer, polyisobutylene and high density polyethylene between clear polyester backings.